Monday, June 22, 2020


Pardon?

Tone and tenor is everything of course
reflecting meaning and perspective and
how what is said is meant to be taken.
Take the phrase 'I beg your pardon' and it 
could be a genuine apology and alternately
a demand for an apology. Tone in the sense
of aural sound bedevilled me as a child for
all too often it eluded me and caused a sense 
of deep embarrassment. That I was unable to 
hear the tone, tenor and place context in what 
was said be it a casual conversation or a vital 
piece of information left me feeling vulnerable
inadequate and wholly at fault. My mind would 
race to make sense of what I had heard/not heard
as I pillaged a mental workbox full of non-verbal
responses and facial contortions meant to convey 
that I had heard and so be it that I had not for 
these subterfuges never caught up with me
no betrayal of my ignorance of a communication 
ever resulted. Inconvenient as it was it somehow 
never struck me that I had a hearing disability 
though I knew I did and had no intention of 
revealing it. The seasoning of age has reduced 
embarrassment while increasing acceptance 
and urged upon me the recognition that there 
was nothing of any usefulness I missed since 
most people at the best of times have little of 
importance or intelligent interest to convey.



 

No comments: