Saturday, June 20, 2020

Image

A Garden For Children

When I was a child, perhaps precocious, seated
in a circle among other children I repeated to 
myself the word I read in stained glass on the
door that said Kindergarten and said to myself
that's Yiddish and I know what it means, it's
a garden for children. I was a child who was
taunted as a 'dirty Jew' and 'Christ-killer' so
I knew I was different but how did they know?
And before long knew too that my kind were 
being butchered in far-off mysterious Europe
overhearing dire whispers between my parents 
and their friends. As I grew older strangers often 
approached to ask where I was from, and then
'but where are you REALLY from'? In my teens 
I loved to brown in the sun absent from the 
household duties my mother imposed and then 
people would ask was I Ethiopian? Forever
awkward, careful, slightly fearful among others
watchful lest I offer hints of characteristics
defined as Jewish, pained to overhear slurs
I eventually became inured and never understood 
why another Jewish child cried in the school 
cloakroom in despair at her Jewish identity. At 
age 13 my mother had me work a summer job
at a clothing factory. There, a non-Jewish boy 
asked me for a date, and I shrank in dismay
into myself. Assessing those years I survived 
where millions could not so I am grateful but 
will not forgive. Sequestered within old age 
living now in a world of my very own I have 
achieved a secret refuge, a veritable and valued 
Garden of Eden where no one but my beloved
is permitted entry and where we are secure.



No comments: