Friday, February 27, 2009

The Pub, Volume 1, #3

Herewith, the latest selection from dusted-off published poetry and short fiction, circa 1970s vintage and beyond....

The Message

There are strange things done
at some editorial desks
perhaps in frustration
that what reaches them
falls short of
editorial expectation.

Take, for example
a sheaf of poems, returned.
I look at them, neatly typed
and hopefully sent out;
the sum totals of my
experiences and perceptions.

Plainly, there is a pattern
on the virginal white
the back of the sheaf.
A neat pattern of criss-cross
pleasing in its symmetry

faint and unobtrusive
like a watermark. Puzzled
at first, then as I held the
page to catch the light
I realized the pattern was

the imprint of a shoe.
There is a message there.
It comes through loud and clear.
As clear as I had hoped my
poems to be; as positive

as I had held my poems
to be. The message though
indelible, more obvious than
my poems were ever
meant to be.

c. 1979 Rita Rosenfeld
published in Pub 3, Summer 1979

No comments: