Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mamashee, Issue No. 2, Volume 2 (2)

Herewith, the latest selection from dusted-off published poetry and short fiction, circa 1970s vintage and beyond....



Reluctant Nympho

Look, I've got nothing against you
just because you're a man. I won't
generalize and say you're all
the same, but I've got opinions
based on memories. I mean, I can

remember boys trapping me in an
alleyway, unzipping pants to show
off their prizes; rigid red sausages.
I couldn't have been more than five
or six. and that guy rooming in

the same house, waiting to hear
my footstep in the hallway, opening
his door to flash himself. And the
old men in the park, following me
with wheedling goodies. I was,

quite frankly, fascinated. Young
as I was, I couldn't believe men
were so damn silly. Decades later,
when I read Nabakov's Lolita I
realized it wasn't their fault. I

must have been such a fey creature,
luring all those helpless males
to witless acts of obeisance.

c. 1979 Rita Rosenfeld
published in Mamashee

No comments: