Monday, February 16, 2009

Origins, Volume nine, No. 1

Herewith, the latest selection from dusted-off published poetry and short fiction, circa 1970s vintage and beyond...
.

Thwarted

The sign read
'inexperienced climbers beware'
(arrow pointing to alternate).

The ascent precipitous
narrow path boulder-strewn
criss-crossed with treeroots
helpfully gripping the soil
grudgingly assisting our climb.

At the cascades the
tumbling waters were a sight
yet fear of a misstep
and wildly winging heart
dulled the image to a
delirious troubled mirage.

A mile up the mountain
we could rest and
lave tired feet in the
crystal stream
cold as death
clear as a wish
pure as my fear.

In retrospect I regret
my refusal to go on -
valuing as I did my
every limb - for the memory
of a peerless overview
and promise of more

at the summit pricks my
frailty
goads your recall.
If I promise
same time
same place
next year?

c. 1979 Rita Rosenfeld
published in Origins, March 1979

No comments: