Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Pre-Ordained

 

 

The legend appears on the right-hand

side of the jacket and is repeated on the

left-hand back pocket of the matching

trousers. The word 'POWERED' repeated

in block letters and under that: 'POWERED

SPORTSWEAR IS THE SPORTSWEAR' in 

smaller block letters. Under which appears 

'Created and manufactured to make being

young more fun'. Fine white cotton, the

jacket hooded, snaps to roll up the sleeves

the pant cuffs elasticized. Clearly action

oriented and though I was 50 at the time so

was I. Enamoured when I saw the outfit at

one of those pop-up stands that were so very

intriguing with their unique and exotic items.

There one day, gone the next.This one just 

outside the Palm Arcade where I would walk

an intricate network of streets from my home

at Fuyo Compound, central Tokyo. Which is how

I know the apparel is now 35 years old and

still presentable. In fact used daily in our strolls

through forest trails, the outfit chosen for its

lightweight cool on hot summer mornings, its

white colour and limb covering mosquito-proof.

As of yesterday's slip on a ravine descent I

am now the proud possessor of a cool outfit

the left knee of which has been ripped across

and shredded, au courant with the latest fashion

of choice for the young and the wanna-be's.

True to the prescient legend of yesteryear.


No comments: