Saturday, March 9, 2019

I Am As I Am

It began as a dream, became a
frantic search, and finally an
unexpected denouement. My
errant, headstrong puppy decided
to disappear into a crowd and I
ran after him, calling to no avail.
I ran about as one demented
searching with frantic intensity
haunted by the thought that he
would come to harm and I love
the little beggar. Then a change
for I no longer knew where I was
and began to search with mounting
frenzy for familiarity and found
none. I yearned to return home
but no matter where I looked
nowhere was known to me any
path that would lead me there.
And then I was in an office where
an officious young woman sat
at a desk surrounded by elderly
women. I begged for help so I
could find my way home. Address?
I couldn't recall, but did know my
postal code. One moment, please
as she went off to check further.
I chatted with the other women
all of them replete with stories of
ill health and I empathized. Soon
the woman returned with a folder.
No need for questions, she said
she didn't care where I came from
all refugees and migrants accepted.
Refugees, migrants? I was born
here! Opening the folder her eyes
conspicuously widened, her mouth
grimaced and she screamed: Jew!
She's a Jew, a Jew, an accursed Jew!
Guilty, I shrank into myself.



No comments: