Thursday, October 28, 2021

Metaphores


 

The day is cold, the wind brisk and the 

sun wan on this late October day. 

On a park bench sits a young mother

her child upright in a baby carriage

snug in a snowsuit, a blanket bundled

about him. Alert to my presence he

watches intently as I speak with his

mother. I was once that mother, happy

to take my children out to natural

surroundings and the elements, a vital

component of valued exposure to the

things that matter in life. Later I watch

as a young man and woman walk in slow

measured pace behind a little boy his

legs pumping a tiny bicycle and I recall

my father teaching me on a tricycle to 

venture forth, undaunted. Later still people 

walk by on the street barely glancing at 

an old woman planting flower bulbs in 

her garden, busily discounting winter and 

anticipating spring. That old woman who 

negates the inevitability of winter is me.



No comments: