Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Contrasts

She married young and so did I but we are
not quite coevals nor particularly close. I
had three children, she had none. She
reminded me today that ten years ago
she so much was taken that at age 70
I remained vigorous enjoying an outdoor
life and left my hair its natural silver grey.
Never did I imagine that I might represent
a focal point for someone to aspire to
but there she stood, hair natural grey
face more lined than my own and in
both perfect spirits and health. She beamed
as she recounted for my full edification
how young her parents were when they
died and not only they but her siblings.
She aspired to attain three score years
and ten and did so with gusto. Now she
speaks to me attributing her victory over
ill health to lifestyle factors, enumerating
them one by one, to wit: she never had
children, she never does anything she
has no wish to commit to and spends
her days comforting herself, wasting no
efforts on things she has no power to
control; accepting life as it presents.
More power to her for feeling she has
experienced a life well and truly lived.




No comments: