Sunday, March 11, 2018

Checking Privilege Status

I understand from all  the fuss on social
media that because I pass for white I am
inordinately privileged. As a Caucasian in
appearance I am a member of the socially
privileged class. Could've fooled me. Silly
me, that's meant as a pejorative, but there is
for me, I understand, an escape clause; I am
not male. I am old, perhaps that gives me a
victimhood leg up, though I doubt it; I am
definitely not an old black woman, darn!
Unfortunately it's always been my belief
naive though it may be that the gender you
are born within and declared at birth is what
your sex is, which just goes to prove how
hidebound and ignorant the aged are. Given
second thought and everyone should be
given the opportunity to think again, perhaps
I can claim to belong to an oppressed and
horribly victimized minority. I am a Jew, 
or, as anti-Semites would prefer, a Jewess.
I cannot be classified as an immigrant that
was my parents escaping the Holocaust
and nor am I a refugee escaping the fury of
Islam unleashed. Seems obvious I fail to
qualify for the privilege of obeisance to my
role as victim; not as a person of colour nor
a tribal member of the qualified victimhood
class, sigh. Some people get all the breaks.



No comments: