Thursday, November 28, 2019


The Story of This Day

As a short story I don't intend to make it
too long in the telling, it's just the way
things worked out, one after another when
my husband went out to run a few errands
and I decided it was time finally to use
that nice beef roast so long frozen as we'd
focused on non-meat dishes, so this would
be a change. Since I had half a head of savoy
cabbage waiting to be used I made cole slaw
as an accompaniment, and then I recalled
that oven-crisped potato recipe I'd seen in last
week's 'living' newspaper section so I'd do
that too. How about baked apples stuffed
with raisins for dessert? And a shredded apple
with those carrots in that cole slaw. What 
might complement apples, my next thought
and remembered I'd meant to bake a batch
of cookies and why not fragrantly crisp-
and-hot gingerbread snaps? Then I stopped
to wonder what was taking him so long
our little dogs were getting restless for a
nice long walk, and in he stepped, sniffing
the air and remarking how good it smells
in this house. Oh he'd stopped in at Friends
of the Library and bought me three good-
reading books. And he's stopped in at the
second-hand shop and bought two warm
and woolly sweaters for me. Off we went
finally into a blustery overcast day to
tramp the forest trails with our puppies.

 

No comments: