Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Oh, Is That You?!

Out of context, out of mind is not that
the formula? The familiar becomes unfamiliar
and the mind a vacuum confronted with a
face and a familiar voice whose identity
eludes momentarily as when an absolute
stranger approaches and speaks in the
most impertinent manner with an intimacy
that feels downright insulting. As you did
my friend and I looked up at you in a shock
of being accosted in a public space by
someone conspicuously too close for
comfort, confiding in me with a sense of
unrequited assurance while my confused
mind scrambled to make sense of the
nonsensical. That voice, that smile, the
blanched face with features that were so
similar to someone I know, only who might
that someone be? After all, though we've
known one another for years and often
share long, involved conversations making
us conversant with one another's values and
personal concerns it has only been in a
very particular setting, nowhere else. And 
here you are, popping up sans headgear
with a mop of white curly hair atop
familiar features placed on a body too tall
it seems, the very picture of a staid and
elderly gentleman considerably older than
the man whose resemblance fails to surface
until it does. How, I wonder, did he in
turn recognize me in this out of context
out of mind conversion to living reality?



No comments: