Monday, July 9, 2018

Consanguinity

It should, blood relations, have the stability
of timelessness but in a society not bound
by the strictures of religious custom and
the inheritance of tribal values perhaps it
simply is a figment of imagination that
the bond between those sharing familial
blood will always be paramount in the
emotions and reactions of those involved.
I never did believe that oft-repeated truism
and perhaps that alone is the explanation
for broad gaps in how I view those to whom
I am genetically related, near and far other
than for curiosity, a proven human trait.
The distance that time and indifference
has brought between me and mine had
little impact on my sensibilities and my
broader interests in life for there was
between us very little in common and no
urge was there for familial involvement.
When we are young the world is a complex
and exciting theatre whose various plays and
productions await exploration and enjoyment.
When we are old it is memories we induce to
rise from the subconscious of our earliest
of stored treasures. In our sleep we evoke the
presence of those once intimately known
long gone, so how do we negotiate reality?



No comments: