Wednesday, September 30, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 45th Installment


Wish they might lecture Kerry some time to stop driving us crazy with a new camp song he learned. It’s about a skunk who gets his revenge. And Kerry sings it all the time, and he’s driving us up the wall with it.
He sings: “Oh, I stuck my head in a little skunk’s hole,
and the little skunk said ‘well bless my soul’ (likely, huh?)
take it out, take it out, take it out, remove it.
Oh, I didn’t take it out and the little skunk said
if you don’t take it out you’ll wish you were dead,
take it out, take it out, take it out, remove it.
Phew! I removed it.”
If we could, we would give that little skunk a little lecture about how to really sock it to Kerry, but then that’s not very realistic, just wishful thinking on our part. Kerry just thinks he’s so smart. I suppose he is in some ways, but he’s irritating beyond belief, and there never, ever seems to be any end to it.


We all put our sleeping bags and stuff on the beds and got out our pajamas and soap and toothbrushes. Mr. Farraday is a health nut or something, (maybe just a plain nut) because he said we’ve all got to wash up and brush our teeth before we go to bed. What’s he think? We’re all back home again?

“It’s all right for him, his cabin is a lot closer to the wash house, but we’ve got further to go, and we’ll probably freeze, on the way back”, Diane said.

“Can’t you just imagine the headlines in the morning?” Jennifer T said: “Five innocent schoolgirls found frozen, while washing up in the wild north woods of Upper Canada?”

“Verrrry funny! I just happen to be serious”, Diane said, not laughing like the rest of us. “I happen to have a very delicate constitution.”

“Are you kidding?” Laura said, “I don’t remember you ever being sick.”

“That’s only because I take such good care of myself. I don’t care what Mr. Farraday says, I for one am not prepared to take such foolish chances with my health.”

“Yay, Diane!” I said. “Me too, I’ve got very delicate health too. You and me can take care of the cabin while the others go out and be good little girls, and get all washed up.”

“It’s for your own good, Jen” Laura said, looking at me very disapprovingly, like I was covered with dirt, or already sprouting green things on my skin, beginning to kind of smell peculiar or something-like.

“For my own good, I’ve decided to stay in the cabin instead of washing up. Me and Diane”, I said, shivering even at the thought of washing with cold water in an unheated cabin, then hurrying back to our little cabin.

“You’ll smell so bad by the time we’re ready to leave”, Jennifer T said, laughing at me “that no one will want to go near you.”

“Suit me fine”, both Diane and me said in unison and it sounded so funny, we all laughed our heads off.

No comments: