Saturday, September 5, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 20th Installment


Laura asked me can she come over after school today and I was really surprised. She hasn’t been over for a while, so of course I said yes, be glad to have her. She walked home with me and Jennifer and then Jen went off home and Laura and I went to my place.

I had to unlock the door, Mom wasn’t home from the school library yet. Sometimes she stays after we do, to get books put away. Me and Laura had chocolate-chip cookies and milk. When Brian came home he had stuff too and then he reminded me to clean up because he doesn’t think Mom should have to clean up after our snacks, especially when I have a friend over. Who does he think he is, anyway? Does he think he thinks more about Mom than me? The creepy little pest!

Then me and Laura went upstairs to my bedroom and I heard Mom come in downstairs, then Larry. Laura kept hinting that we should do some beading, like she would really love to make another ring like the last one, because that one broke. I really didn’t feel like beading but I thought I owed it to her because she was my guest, so I showed her how to do it again, and she made a very nice two-tone ring for herself. Not bad, but not as good as the ones I make.

“Are you sorry we don’t spend so much time together anymore, Jennifer?” she asked me.

“Oh well” I said, “we’re all pretty busy. There’s more homework now so we have less time than we used to.”

“It’s not just that. You know that I go over to Sally’s a lot now, don’t you?”

“Sure I do. But it’s your life, you’ve got to do what you want with it. You like her company, I don’t. Besides, Jennifer T and I spend a lot of time together when she’s not with her cousin. And then there’s Jane Parker, she comes over sometimes, too. Her mother takes me skating with them in the evenings, sometimes.”

“Well, I’m glad you don’t feel bad about us. I felt kind of bad because we were such good friends, but then, I like Sally too and she needs a friend because not so many people like her.”

“That’s nice of you, Laura. I wish I could be as generous as you, but she really annoys me.”

“It’s just her way, you know. And she says you annoy her, so it works both ways.

“Well, crap Laura! I don’t pick on her all the time. It’s her who’s after me, like everything I do, she says something about it, and not something nice.”

“She’s not like that with everyone. And I told you before, her family isn’t very well adjusted, I think. They’re always yelling at each other. But they are nice people.”

“Okay, I’m not saying they’re not. I don’t know them after all, you do.”

“And Jen, there’s her brother, her older brother. He’s sooo nice. He doesn’t ignore you like other guys his age. He listens when you talk to him, and he’s so good looking.”

“Sure Laura, you don’t have to feel bad about me. I’m glad for her sake that she’s got a good friend like you.”

“I don’t see why we can’t all be friends, Jen.”

“Well sure, me too. We all hang around together. It’s just that there are times when things get pretty sticky. Then we kind of separate and I see you siding with Sally, so that’s all right.”

“Anyway, let’s talk about other things. I meant to tell you, I’ve been getting kind of cramps lately. Sally says it means I’ll probably be getting my period soon. Did you know Donna got her period already?”

“Oh. No, I didn’t. That’s nice.” I really didn’t want to discuss anything like that with Laura. Or with anyone else. It’s my own private business and I really don’t think I have to tell her or anyone else if I’ve got my period yet. So I didn’t say anything else, although it was obvious to me that she was waiting for me to tell her if I had it yet.

When she finished her ring we went downstairs to see Munchkin and Grumpkin and I made a cardboard tube for them and we watched them frolic through the tube and fed them celery. Mom had a roast in the oven and it smelled really good. I was starved and I could hear Mom setting the table upstairs and I felt bad that Laura stayed so late so I didn’t set the table. Anyway, she finally went home and I went to speak to Mom.

No comments: