Saturday, September 26, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 41st Installment



The last lesson I had with Bob at the university, he told me I was coming along much better. I got my flute back from the music repair shop. We had waited a while before getting it fixed, and another couple of pads fell out, but now they’re fixed. My flute is really great. Even I can hear the difference. It’s in much better tune now. Bob says I still have to work on my embrasure.

“Don’t you look in a mirror at home as I recommended? You’d get a better idea then, how you should be forming your mouth and expelling air into the flute.”

“Well, I’m trying”, I said. “It’s just I’m not so keen on looking at myself in the mirror, especially blowing. I mean, I look silly enough most of the time. When I’m doing that, I look even goofier.”

“You’re not serious!” he said. Pretending to fall back with shocked surprise (he’s really a lot of fun). “A pretty girl like you? If I looked like you I’d be snatching views of myself in the mirror all the time to see if I was still there.”

It wasn’t as if he was really giving me a compliment and saying I’m nice to look at, not really. Because he was just kidding. But anyway, it made me feel so good to hear somebody - especially a guy - say that. Mom and Dad are always saying I’m pretty, but they’re prejudiced in my favour. They just think that because I’m their kid I’ve got to be pretty. Maybe I do look nice after all. It’s just that when I look in the mirror I don’t see myself pretty at all.


We didn’t have a sleeping bag, so Dad went out and bought one on his lunch-time at work. Helps that he works downtown and there’s a couple of big camping supply places nearby. We’re all so excited at school, it’s almost like we can’t settle down any more, and do any work. Mr. Henderson gave us separate lists of what we’re all supposed to bring in the way of food, to cut down on the expenses. Because we’re doing it that way, we only have to pay five dollars for each kid that’s going.

Most of the kids are going, and I feel sorry for the ones who aren’t, because they’ll have to go to some other area while we’re away, and do work all the time.

We had a geography test today, and a history test. Everything at once, as usual! I guess they think we’re going to have such a good time while we’re away, they don’t want us to forget what’s waiting for us when we get back. As if we could. I was too excited to concentrate, and Jennifer was too. And we don’t think we did too good on the tests.


That was such a simple pattern, there’s almost nothing left to do on the dresses. They’re not bad, but Miss Blount pointed out that we should have cut them a little better, like mine’s kind of long, and I’ll have to put up a big hem, but Jennifer’s is hardly long enough, and she’ll barely be able to get a hem on hers. Oh well, still, they’re pretty good for two kids who’ve never made a dress before. Now we’ve made them though, neither of us knows what we’ll do with them.

Jennifer sometimes wears a skirt but I don’t, ever. She’ll probably get to wear her dress, but I’m not all excited about wearing mine, ever. I can just hear Mom now: “Then what on earth did you make it for?”

I shouldn’t have, because now she’ll hassle me all the time to wear it. I like it, all right. And it doesn’t look bad on, if you like a bright yellow dress that looks like a nightie, but I wouldn’t wear it. If it fits Mom I’ll tell her she can wear it. Hey, that’s not a bad idea. I can always give it to her for a present.

No comments: