Tuesday, September 8, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 23rd Installment


Me and Jennifer brought home our cutting boards for our moms and they really liked them. I know Mom did anyway, she thought it was just great. She hung it up on the kitchen wall and it looks really nice. We had our first Home Economics class. Well, it wasn’t really much of a class. Just kind of getting to know the teacher, Miss Blount. And she told us what-all we’re going to do.

This turn around we’ll all be doing stuffed animals. We think that’s kind of dumb, being in grade eight and making stuffed animals, but they’re cute, and we all could pick either an octopus or a mouse or an elephant pattern. I picked the mouse because I liked the long tassel tail and Jennifer picked an octopus. We’re supposed to get our own material, so we just don’t understand why we’ve got to bring two dollars next class for supplies. Miss Blount said it was to pay for the patterns, although we don’t get to keep them, and for thread and bobbins and stuff. We think it’s a rip-off.

Looks like Sally is planning a party and does she ever talk a lot about it, at lunch time, at recess and right through classes. We keep getting told to be quiet, but she never listens. During tutorial when we were all supposed to be studying in the library about the Maritime Provinces, all she did was yak about her party.

“I can’t decide”, she said, “whether to have it out, like invite everyone over to MacDonald’s, or at the Ponderosa, or something like that, or to have it at home so we can dance.”

“What for do you want to dance?” Donna asked. Privately, I was curious about that too, but I wasn’t about to ask her.

“What do you think for, dummy!” she responded, so sweetly. “You think I’m going to have a kiddie party - like without boys? My party will be mixed and we’re going to dance, and all.”

“That sounds really nice”, Laura said, getting all excited. I don’t know what for. “You going to ask your brother to the party?”

“Oh, I guess so. If he’s around he can come, if he wants to.”

“What kind of food you having if it’s at home?” Donna wanted to know. It figured.

“I haven’t decided. Something special, though. No hot dogs or kid stuff like that. Maybe steaks and French fries and Baked Alaska or something like that.”

“Wow! Baked Alaskas! That’s marvy! I’d love to come!” Is that Donna ever enthusiastic about her stomach!

“My dear child”, Sally looked at Donna like she wasn’t even looking at her. “Whatever gives you the idea that just anyone will get an invitation? I intend to be very selective. I’m afraid I haven’t yet decided just who I will invite. After all, mine is going to be a very special occasion.”

Poor Donna, her face really fell. I wonder, does Sally mean to invite us all, or what? She’s got to invite me because I invited her, but if she doesn’t invite Jennifer T or Diane or Donna I’ll just refuse to go. That’s what I’ll do, I’ll just be real cool and refuse her invitation if she doesn’t ask them too. She’d feel so bad I’m sure, she would reconsider inviting the others.

“Hey!” Diane said. “What’s the party for?”

“Well, for me, of course. What did you think?:

“I mean, is it for your birthday, or what?”

“Well, I already had my birthday last week … I didn’t tell you guys because I didn’t want to make you feel bad about all the great things I got for gifts and like that. I wasn’t going to have a party, but my mother insisted that I have one. So sure, it’s a birthday party.”

I guess that means presents are in order, but I’m not asking or anything. I don’t want her to think I’m all anxious to go or anything like that. Although of course, I would like to go, kind of.

No comments: