Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Quiche for Two

What would I not do for you!
Name it and I will perform whatever
task, prepare any dish you crave
including those that you recall
your sainted mother blessed you with.
Wish for anything and with all the
skills at my disposal, I will present
you with whatever you long for, 
my love. For tonight, quiche for two, 
my dear. Double-yolk eggs, exquisitely
flavourful Grana Padano cheese, 
naturally-smoked salt-reduced bacon, 
tenderly chopped green onion stalks
hold the salt and grind the peppercorns. 
The pastry crust that you so enjoy, 
prepared with my very own loving hands, 
nicely crusted yet flaky-tender. What 
more could you ask for? Oh, a fresh 
salad, grape tomatoes, red bell pepper, 
snap peas, avocado, baby carrots, 
lettuce, just a perfect foil for quiche. 
Buttermilk, you love the taste of it, 
and it pairs nicely with all else I'm 
serving you. What's that? My memory 
must be failing? You detest quiche? 
You're prepared to dutifully pick at it 
and eat what little you can stomach? 
On the wrong track there, was I? 
Sixty years of marriage and I'm 
serving you ill. Robust sense of 
humour we've honed together, yes?



No comments: