Friday, November 25, 2016


For All I Know

For all I know, the spirit of my garden
a gentle and accommodating muse
faithful to the ardent fulfillment of my
gardener's wishes during the days of bloom
may feel betrayed and neglected left 
to fend for herself as winter approaches
for even hearts of stone may be vulnerable
to winter's mercilessly icy grip and her
abandonment within the garden put to
rest may elicit resentment for all I know.
She now wears a white mantle of snow
a diadem to match, with snowy boots
ill-fitting her loose Grecian garment of
timeless grace. Beside her, not quite
a companion but in close proximity
sits her grimacing and leering adversary
the gargoyle whose function it is to
defend the interior of the house, and
whose heart is obliviously immune to
the cold, for his is a heart not only of
stone, but black as Hades itself while hers 
radiates the goodness of Elysian Fields.


No comments: