Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Don't Ask!

But you did, didn't you, my
friend. And you quite went out of
your way to do so, facing me with
that sincere look and quietly asking.
How was I to know that my response
should have been otherwise? To
resort to that mental shrug, a
typical Yiddish sigh and the words
Don't Ask. But you are not Yiddish
not familiar with the purpose of
the emotive phrase and accompanying
body language, so I responded in
kind to match what stood before me.
A simple declaration, but then
your response was so fatuous unlike
what should be emitted from someone
of your intelligence, and it required
a reaction. A calm, explanatory
response. To which you resorted 
with a start of memory recalling a
very important appointment you
simply could not afford to miss. Ah,
my friend, I'm familiar with the
meaning and importance of such
appointments for I've had occasion
to recall them myself now and again.




No comments: