Tuesday, October 27, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 72nd Installment



I had one more recorder class, and Bianca, for heaven’s sake, said she was sending out a registration form in the mail for Mom to fill out, so I could join the Saturday morning group in September. She said with a big grin, that she’s sure I’m ready for the challenge.

Then she spoiled it all by telling me to be strict with myself, and not to forget to practise regularly, like Larry.

A week after school was over, I got a telephone call from, would you believe it, Brent. While Mom and Dad were out shopping. (Larry wasn’t at home either, he was over with one of his friends.) But it was me Brent was calling for, to speak to moi! He invited me to go out to a concert of the Civic symphony, playing an all-Beethoven concert, next week. Me, he asked, not Larry.

When Mom and Dad got home, I went over to Mom and whispered to her what Brent said. Did she ever look surprised. Then she turned to look at Daddy, who said “what’s going on?”

“I don’t really want to go, Mom”, I said, in a hurry. “I just thought I’d better tell you. I told him I’d call him back, and let him know. But I don’t want to go.” Not much.

Mom told Dad what I told her, and his mouth fell open, then he closed it. And he sounded mad when he said that Brent was a sneak.

“Here that boy is, over all the time, playing music with Larry. And he had his eye on Jen all that time. How sneaky can you get!?”

“Well, what’s wrong with that, Dear?” Mom said. “We were quite young when we first met. Anyway, it’s all quite innocent. They’re only children, after all.”

“There’s no chance at all she can go!” Dad said. Really fuming mad, and stomping all over the place. Mom looked a little annoyed with him, and she turned to me.

“Now Jen”, she said quietly. “You know what we think about girls your age going on on dates, don’t you?”

“Sure, Mom. I said I don’t want to go, didn’t I?”

“Yes. I know you did. But under the circumstances, I think we might be able to make an exception. After all, we’ve known Brent for a few years. He’s a very nice boy. Very intelligent.” And she turned and kind of glared at Daddy. Daddy stopped pacing around and just stood there, and listened to us.

“Now, we can't, I’m afraid, consider Brent’s invitation to you as it stands. On the other hand, if he were to extend his invitation to you to include Larry too, we might think otherwise. I know Brent, and I’m certain he wouldn’t mind one bit if Larry accompanied you, to make it a threesome. And of course, I think you should both pay your own way.”

“Do you think so, Mom? Do you want me to suggest that to him?

“Yes, Dear. That’s exactly what I think you should do. After all, what could be more natural? Larry’s much keener about going to a Civic symphony performance than you are. In all likelihood Brent just didn’t think of inviting Larry, as an oversight. Bet he’d be more than glad to have him go too. After all, they are very good friends.”

So I did it. I called Brent, and told him what Mom said, and Dad said it was all right that way, and Brent said sure. He should have thought of it himself, he said.

Growing up isn’t such a big deal after all.

- 30 -

No comments: