Wednesday, October 21, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 66th Installment


It’s getting to be really awful at school. By the time Friday rolled around last week, we were both sick and tired of being hassled by everyone. Even Diane and Donna were after us, although Laura didn’t really say too much other than that she felt everyone should be able to make up their own minds. She’s a lot more tolerant, I guess, than the other kids.

We said it was perfectly all right with us if our names weren’t on the gift. In fact, we don’t want our names there. That’s why we’re not having anything to do with it, after all. But the other kids think that’s really horrible, not having your name on the card. Big deal.

At dinner time Friday I told Mom we baked chocolate cupcakes at Home Ec. that day, but I forgot mine in my locker. I said never mind, I’ll bring them home tomorrow. Mom said you can’t, tomorrow is Saturday. And by the time you bring them home on Monday, they’ll be hard as bricks. I felt so bad about that. Like, there’s so much hassle at school, it’s no wonder I don’t know sometimes what I’m doing.

Anyway, the exams are over, and I can relax about that. School’s almost over, too. Me and Jennifer hope we’ll be together in grade 9 next year, and we sure hope that if we aren’t, neither of us gets Sally in the same class. That would be absolutely awful!

My flute lessons are going well, and Bianca says I’m improving on the recorder. But I need to be more disciplined she said; she always says that. Huh! Looks like she’ll never let me join the Saturday morning group. I don’t see what’s so special about them anyway, actually. I bet I can play the same music they do! How’ll she ever know, if she doesn’t give me a chance, anyway?

We got an opportunity to go to Ridgemount High for the day, all our class. And we were assigned different classes to sit in on. Like we were in those classes all day. Geography, and history and math. And we listened in on everything. It was kind of to get us used to things in high school.

It didn’t seem all that different, actually, from middle school. Just the kids are older and they don’t make as much noise. The teachers seemed nice enough, and they asked us some questions. Me and Donna were together, along with some other kids in our class.

We asked, and they said we won’t necessarily be in those same classes next year. This was just so we would get an idea of how things work. At lunchtime we went into the combination auditorium/lunchroom, and most of the kids from our class kind of sat together. It was strange, being with all those big kids. But I guess we’ll get used to it.

After lunch the principal of the school spoke to us in a lecture room. They’ve got small rooms with stages, like, and he told us about the school and the numbers of periods and cycles, and like that. He seemed okay.

Then we were supposed to go off and find the rooms marked on our schedules for the afternoon. Me and Donna got lost, but some big guy helped us out, and told us where to go, upstairs.

No wonder we got lost. The school’s enormous. Almost two thousand kids go there. It’s supposed to be one of the biggest high schools in Ontario, and there’s corridors and halls and doors leading off all over the place. We kind of wonder whether we’ll ever get used to it all, and be able to find our way around, eventually.

Afterward, we were bused back to Cornelius Krieghoff, and we all went home. And I told Mom about the school. She asked, did I see Larry there? And I said, for heaven’s sake (that made her happy), there were kids all over the place, and I didn’t see him at all. I’m glad I didn’t, because he would have probably shouted out loud “Hi, Fatty Rascoon!” or something like that. Just what I need. I’ll slaughter him, I swear, if he does it next year!

No comments: