Thursday, October 8, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 53rd Installment


We all got snuggled in our sleeping bags, but first we had to help Donna get her zipper done up, because her bag is either too small, or she’s too big, but we didn’t say that to her.

Everybody had something to munch on, and we were just lying around, talking and eating chocolates and stuff. I didn’t even feel bad because I had brushed my teeth before I got in the cabin. I’m sure my teeth won’t seriously begin rotting by tomorrow.

We all said how stupid Sally is, what a drag it is to have her with us and stuff. Just when Donna started to say something really interesting Laura and Sally came in and we had to shut up.

“All tucked in for beddy-bye?” Sally said ever so sweetly to us. No one answered her, of course. “Would you like Mumsie to tell you another iddle story to put you to sleep?” she asked. We all kept our mouths shut.

“Brrrr, I’m cold”, Donna said. Actually, I guess we were all a little nippy-feeling. We kept our socks on and Jennifer was wearing her light jacket over her PJ's. Diane had a heavy cable-knit sweater on, and me too. Donna had pulled her pants on over her pajama bottom, but we all still felt cold. We had to kind of warm up the sleeping bags by snuggling down and squirming around, before we could get comfortable.

“Now, how could you ever be cold, Dearie?” Sally said. “With all that blubber you should be very comfortable.”

“Dry up, Big Mouth”, Diane said to her.

“Oh-oh, dear-dear, mind your manners! We’ll have to wash your mouth out with salt water!” Sally laughed.

So we just ignored her and talked about things and didn’t include her in our conversations. Laura sat on Sally’s bed and they talked between themselves, ignoring us, too. It sure doesn’t make a very nice atmosphere when you get someone like Sally bunking in with you. Before she came in we were thinking of throwing her out to the wolves, but we couldn’t do that, even to her. I guess.

When we finally did fall asleep, through all the noise that was coming from the other cabins with the kids all yelling and laughing, and I guess telling jokes, we were good and warm.

I had a nightmare that my teeth were falling out, one after the other, and that no one would go near me because I smelled pretty bad. So I kept waking up, and it was very quiet, except for Donna’s snoring. Once, when I woke up, I heard a funny scrambling sound on the roof, and I was so scared, you just can’t imagine.

“Who’s there?” I heard someone ask, in a really small voice.

“Hey, who’s that?” I asked, because I felt better, knowing someone else was awake.

“It’s me, who’s that?”

“I’m Jennifer Feldman. Who’s me?”

“Don’t you know who you are?”

“No, stupid, I know who I am, who’re you?”

“Oh, it’s Diane.”

“Did you hear that sound up on the roof?” I asked her, and I squirmed around in the sleeping bag until my head was close to the edge of the bed, and I looked up to the top bunk and there was Diane, her head leaning over the side, looking down at me.

“Yeah, what was it?”

“I don’t know. Do you think we should wake up the other girls?”

“Maybe we better. If it’s a wolf or something we may have a better chance of fighting it off.”

“Are you kidding?! What would a wolf be doing on the roof? It’s probably only a chipmunk, maybe even a squirrel.”

Nope. Sounds too big and heavy for something small like that."

“It’s probably a raccoon, you nuts”, we heard a voice drifting over from the other side.

“Who’s that? We both asked softly.

“It’s me, Jennifer.”

“Oh, good. I’m glad you’re up, Jennifer. This is me, Jen. And Diane, too.:”

“Yeah, I know who you are, who did you think I would think it was, anyway? The Bloody Hand?”

“Ohhhh, Jennifer, don’t talk like that!” Diane said, her voice quavering.

“Don’t be silly babies”, she said. “You’re in the woods, what do you expect to hear if not small wild animals?”

“There! There it is again!” Diane squawked.

This time we heard a heavy dragging sound go from one end of the roof to the other. I was glad now that I was down on the bottom, and not on a top bunk, so I’d be so close to the roof.

“It’s just a cute old raccoon, or a porcupine, you two. Go on back to sleep.” Good old Jennifer, always cool, calm and collected, the sensible one.

No comments: