Thursday, October 8, 2020

Dreaming a Double Life


 

As scientific convention has it, the dream state

is a function of the mind while the body is at rest
 
a reflection of the state of the mind and dreaming 
 
is said to be linked with the soundness of the body's 
 
relaxation in its sleep ritual of mind-body renewal.
 
I know differently however, given my experience
 
such that I must confess I lead a strange and 
 
double life. Not the type of admission released
 
to a confessional, but one that recognizes the
 
peculiarity of a phenomenon for which there 
 
may be a rational explanation but such may
 
not reflect the verisimilitude of my double life.
 
One a reflection of the other in that it is all 
 
so ordinary as to be comforting in its explicit
 
reflection leaving me to wonder which mirrors 
 
which when the very pedestrian nature of 
 
what occurs seems like an extension of the day
 
that ended when I fell asleep. There was a
 
time when my dreams echoed longing and fear
 
a search for myself and for my home, elusive
 
and strangely disturbing. Now that my psyche 
 
has settled into its double life there is peace
 
and tranquility, the comfort of familiarity
 
flowing from the hours of daytime to those of night.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: