Saturday, October 19, 2019


Come, All Ye Faithful

As faithfully bonded to and adoring
of nature as I have always been
seeking out the company of her trees
and forests how was I to know of 
her penchant for practical jokes
her fetish for witnessing those such as
I coming a cropper while worshipping
in the cathedral of her woodland
settings, innocent of her sense of
humour that could surely appeal only
to a confirmed sociopath? It is just
lately that I recall the frequency of
falls in the long past that occasioned
bruises, cuts and sustained limps all
of which I self-confessedly attributed
to my inexcusable inattention and
unfortunate clumsiness while in her
embrace. Older now, and in the wisdom
of my years, my love for her has not
the least diminished even as I admit
with the utmost reluctance that those
incidents were planned connivances
where roots and rocks were alerted to
my imminent arrival and obeyed those
instructions which led to my temporary
and painful downfalls, and in obedience
to nature's calls storm-slick forest trails
heeded reminders to arrest my ascents
in instant disaster the better to elicit
chuckles from their mistress at the
most inelegant display of my aged
body splayed helplessly, mind in shock
at yet another betrayal by my beloved.


No comments: