Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Message

There are strange things done
at some editorial desks
perhaps in frustration
that what reaches them
falls short of
editorial expectation.

Take, for example
a sheaf of poems, returned.
I look at them, neatly typed
and hopefully sent out
the sum total of my
experiences and perceptions.

Plainly, there is a pattern
on the virginal white
the back of the sheaf.
A neat pattern of criss-cross
pleasing in its symmetry

faint and unobtrusive
like a watermark. Puzzled
at first, then as I held the
page to catch the light
I realized the pattern was

the imprint of a shoe.
There is a message there.
It comes through loud and clear.
As clear as I had hoped my
poems to be; as positive

as I had held my poems
to be. The message though
more, more obvious than
my poems were ever
meant to be.

c.1979

No comments: