Sunday, September 20, 2020

Damn Right I Will!


 
It is an entirely reasonable supposition
that as thinking, intelligent creatures
we have it in us to learn by our mistakes
at the very least exercise due caution
when undue incidents result from bad
habit. In my case, haste. 'Make haste' was
an expression so commonly used in
Victorian literature for after all at times
much can depend on it for situational
outcomes. With me, everything is a situation
whose outcome rests on my capacity to
perform tasks swiftly; it is my very nature
my DNA. There's another old adage
act in haste, repent at leisure, and that is
precisely what I'm doing, with (sigh)
yet another black eye to prove just that.
I've lived my life in a hurry, simply too
much to do and see and look after and
the outcome is being accident-prone. Surely
an improvident condition, yet all mine.
Falls, head-splits, unintentional acrobatics
without end and consequentially colourful.
Expletives to salve the anger that I've done
it again, pain to flood my senses reminding
me that I've done it again, then swiftly the
swelling and eventually those bloody awful
hematomas crawling over my cranium
and a spreading dark shadow encircles my
eyes. Out in public, stares. Knowing stares.
An abused woman. My husband the gentlest
man on Earth suffers the nasty ignomy of 
a reputational bruise. Does he mind? No.
Why do people make such assumptions? Aha
next time I see a woman with inexplicable
bruising will I judge? Damn right I will!
 
 

No comments: