Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Message is the Medium

My friend tells me
it's been nice 
knowing me all these years.
With a pat on the arm
he says I've
been a good sport
and even
pleasant company.

That's how I know
he's just recalled
         the date
and like last year
and the one before
has forgotten
to get me an 
anniversary gift.

The surface child
acquisitive me
never fails to be 
disappointed; yet
      somehow their
belatedness and haste
doesn't make the words
tripping hopefully

from his familiar mouth
sound any less sincere.
He sincerely hopes
I won't strike a
        tragic pose of
           benign neglect
weep tears of self-pity
like last year.

Strange how some things
never change.         Odd
how we never 
seem to learn.        Nice
that life goes on
any old how.

c.1979


 

No comments: