Monday, March 20, 2023

They Come Knocking

Jehovah's Witnesses: Memorial of Jesus' Death, Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Early morning, who could our little dogs

be barking at so ferociously, ever on guard

announcing the presence of strangers? There

on the porch stand a woman and a man smiling

warmly as I open the door and winter chill

enters the house. They are on a mission and

I am their calling. An invitation, how very

gracious. A familiar hesitant tenor to the soft

voice that brings back other times, other places

and I smile. A Memorial of Jesus' Death

reads the pamphlet he hands me. Once, long

ago I might have remarked that these sweet

Jehovah's Witnesses in their oblivion to cause

and effect seek to introduce me to an iconic

figure they worship for his godliness, is one

my people introduced to the world at large

for his exhortations to peace and serenity of

mind for respecting others and living in

harmony. The misfortune being that they

venerate the messenger while flouting his

message, choosing to demonize instead the

very crucible from which he arose, in fervent

displays over the millennia of scornful

rejection and violent reaction to the world's

most despised people, forever damned.

 

 

No comments: