Thursday, March 23, 2023

I Remember


 

She appeared a wizened figure, creased and grey

the first time I saw her but other than that

she was so old and nondescript I remember

nothing about her. The young take little notice

of the very old and I suspect this very old woman 

took no notice of me,  just a little friend her

grandson brought along on a visit. I was a child

and so was he, just in our early teens and it was

his grandfather that impressed with his long white

spade-shaped beard and gentle knowing smile.

I remember a horse in a shed in the back. I

remember a sprawling old chestnut tree in the

garden. I remember when the house was sold

and they entered an old-age home. They both

looked ancient and I was still a child. Now 

on my left hand her wedding ring encircles

my ring finger and I am older than when I first

saw this woman whom time has long since taken.

As I observe the ring I wonder what she might have

thought of this most intimate symbol of her life

adorning the wrinkled hand of a girl unnoticed.



No comments: