Thursday, March 9, 2023

Beyond Ageism

29,067 Senior At Doctor Office Stock Photos, Pictures ...

No introduction required for there was

an occasion many years ago when his

professional expertise came to the aid

of my dilemma. He is a kindly, avuncular

man, a distinct credit to his healing

profession and fate has placed us once

again in a partnership of the healing arts.

His smile is generous his expertise beyond

question, a man schooled in the ills that

befall that most delicate of vital organs

with which we identify the world around us.

The examination is thorough the prognosis

of surgical intervention assured and we

move on to recommendation and scheduling.

He is prepared once again to operate on my

ageing eyes, to grant me with his assured

proficiency a return to clarity and acute vision.

But while I have aged, so has this skillful man.

And I must consider: do I entrust the outcome

of such an operation on my precious eyes to

someone so advanced in age, well beyond

the official timescale of recognized retirement

for he has been transformed to a confident

yet feeble elder, shrunken and deeply wrinkled

white-haired and stooped. Ten years his senior

I have the appearance of one decades younger

than he. The dilemma of declining  his services

and the potential of offering an indignity to his

ego, balanced against mine of self-preservation.


No comments: