Friday, October 6, 2017

Gone Missing

Have you lost your mind? Lately, that
is. Misplaced it...? Something like that. 
Certain, are you? I wouldn't be -- on your
behalf, that is. Because, fact is you never
know. What you never know is how your
state of sanity is regarded by others.
Surprise you, does it? I had it on trusted
authority that a neighbour had entered
a state of dementia. Poor woman. She 
already has more than enough affliction
in her life. She also has a husband who
is devoted to her care. When she trundles
up and down the street for her daily outings
shoving her elaborate walker before her
there too is her attentive husband. She
has become the child they never had
in her old age, her face a dumpling of
smiles, smudged with ruddy cheeks
like that of an excited, happy child. She
loves life and he loves her, so they laugh
as they toddle up and down the street
where when we meet them her clever
tongue and sense of mischief clarify an
active and healthy mind. I'm not the least
bit surprised since a distant relative
surprised when I answered the telephone
blurted he'd heard I was suffering from
frontal-lobe dementia. If I am it's a mystery
to me that people I never see know what
I clearly do not. I repeat, lost your mind?


No comments: