Wednesday, May 28, 2014


The Dark Stranger

The dark stranger appears
to have spent considerable
time and effort surreptitiously
studying my schedule and the
habits I have formed, and
obviously for the reason of
exploitation. His presence is
seen as sinister by some, his
reputation as dark as his
appearance, viewed with 
suspicion and antipathy by his
numerous detractors. I've noted
how he tends to discreetly
hover about near my residence,
as though maintaining a vigil,
monitoring my coming and going.
No shudder of fear or mildly
apprehensive of his intentions,
however, for I respect his right
to reconnoitre his environment
to his advantage. He, and those
of his dark clan whom he notifies 
assemble when they discern my
intent to wander the woods,
scattering in long-established caches
nuts to treat the forest's furred
wildlife. They too are cordially
welcome to avail themselves, and
they do, for they anticipate precisely
where I leave the edible treasures,
not cavalierly, but fully respecting
the prior advantage of other
creatures, taking for themselves
what is left, adeptly breaking 
shells to release their nuts, 
entertaining me with their clever
efficiency and alert deference.



No comments: