Wednesday, May 14, 2014


Near To Eden

Surely, this is as near to Eden's
gate as anyone aspiring to
find contentment can possibly
achieve? A blue sky on a warm
spring day with a sweet breeze
whispering through tender lime-green
foliage on the leafing-out trees in
my garden. There, I contemplate
my choices in an array of
brilliantly-hued garden plants
and flowers, nursery-bred, that
had their origins in exotic far-flung
places of Nature's varied habitat.
Above me, as I make my planting
selections, the angelic melodies of
birds gathered in the trees and
shrubs awaiting their moment
at the seeds we scatter for them.
As I plant those colourful vessels
of pleasure, a tiny red squirrel
mindless of the presence of my
very small dog, changes place with
another equally unconcerned with
my presence themselves busy
scooping the nuts we have given
them. One tiny creature among them
scampers up a tree to assail me
with a volume of rebuking twitters;
simply reminding me who has 
precedence of authenticity in this
garden they permit me to share.


No comments: