Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Why Do You Hate Me?

 

And how am I not like you? For I laugh

with pleasure, cry in pain, I have eyes to

see and ears to hear, a mouth to express my

anguish when you ridicule and debase me.

I know love, to receive and to give. I hug

my children as you do yours. I long to live.

I want a future for my children. I weep with

fear and incomprehension. Why do you hate me?

Why did the world see nothing, hear nothing

know nothing of my fate, fail to intervene to

act on behalf of the humanity that we represent.

I know why my fellow Jews mourn my death

and that of six million who like me were viewed

as human trash to be obliterated. But I still do

not know why we are so reviled. What I do

know is how I am different from you. What

you did to me I never would have done to you.



No comments: