Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Complexity of the Iatrogenic Effect

























Your doctor, said her temporary
replacement, is back from maternity
leave, but is unable to see you today.
So how may I help you? he asked.

He's grey, rotund and though obviously
good natured, looks drawn and somewhat
harried. I'm well, only here for prescriptions
renewals. And, he prompted, you have
had your annual physical check-up?

Last one, I responded, was fifteen years
ago; watching as a bemused look of horror
crosses his face. No!?! Yes. I am healthy,
no need for check-ups. So he launched into
a soft little scolding session about nipping ill
health in the bud to produce good health.

I do that, I respond serenely, by eating well,
exercising my body well, resting as required,
keeping my mind involved. A tad too smugly,
I am warned by his look of consternation.

So, why all the medications renewals? Ah,
complications arising from an original,
cautionarily-prescribed medication,
resulting from a routine medical check.

No comments: