Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hello, Again

Remember me? I'm
your neighbour, live
halfway down the street,
that red brick, two-story
just where the street turns?
Ah, you do.
Thought so. Not this year,
you say? Why, dear me,
my memory too is
intact and as I recall
this is precisely
what you've declared
over the last decade
no matter which charity.
With a patronizing smile
I might add. So this year
I have decided
to ask: which year
would present as suitable
for you to respond
affirmatively to? A dip
into your pocket to
withdraw whatever
inconsiderable sum you
might deem sufficient
unto the occasion,
and which I too would
deem considerably sufficient
to register, my esteemed
neighbour, that you too
feel an obligation
toward your society,
prepared to support
scientific investigation
into health scourges that
afflict us all; support
social welfare causes to
help make a more fair
and considerate society
enriching us all,
by default.
I ask, you smile ruefully,
sheepishly repeat that
tired old non-engaged
response, releasing me
to move on.

No comments: