Saturday, January 20, 2024

Anniversary of a Life Well Lived


He was the baby I learned to diaper when 

I turned into my teen years. The infant I 

carried about and tended to, took long walks 

in a public park with where I had arranged an

assignation with the boy my parents warned 

me against seeing who has been my husband 

for 69 years. That baby grew and flourished as 

he entered his own teen years and our own

three babies were born in quick succession

their uncle a rare presence in their lives for 

fortune, opportunity and career took him 

a fair distance. The teen he once was who 

delighted in maintaining a menagerie of reptiles 

and a pet raccoon who ran the household 

turned instead to teaching botany. A professor 

of environmental studies whose passion was 

bird counts and natural gardens, energetic squash 

games and primitive collectables. His widely 

varied interests as vast as his energy and time 

permitted. Until his retirement with a life of 

leisure that stretched before him to travel far and 

wide exhausting the globe's encyclopedic bird

species until a sneak attack by inoperable cancer.


No comments: