Friday, July 1, 2022

What Happened?

 

When I was a child a lifetime ago I was taught

Black history in elementary school. When my parents 

spoke to me of the inequity of fortunes in the world

Black history featured large. At school I learned 

words and melodies of 'Negro Spirituals' like 

'Go down Moses, Go down in Egypt land

tell old Pharaoh Let My People Go', sentiments

meant to give comfort and hope for the future. 

For if Israelites were slaves in ancient history

they no longer were and nor would their own be

much longer. From  the use of Jewish antecedent 

history to their own enslavement in a world where

from pre-history forward the condition of slavery

prevailed where people born into slavery in Greece 

rose to positions of authority and influence, when

philosophers like Phaedo, Diogenes and Epictetus

were slaves, to the present where slavery has the odour 

it deserves yet persists, slavery existed on all continents 

afflicting every colour of skin. Human memory and 

emotion is fickle. Blacks now see fit to condemn the 

very people who once stood beside them to force a 

society to confront its history of racist exploitation.

 

 


No comments: