Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Glib Pitch

Not to be rude, he was after all
only performing a type of public
service I did myself for years
as a volunteer for charitable
groups, knocking on doors
soliciting donations for
health research, so I politely
listen to his slick telephone
spiel while thinking bad timing
since this is the cusp of a
new year, the old one barely
out the door and donors'
funding fairly depleted. His
well practised verbal coersion
endless and my patience not
I advised my caller of my
unpreparedness to pledge
then and there. At the canvassed
door some people are naturally
welcoming while others are
brusquely disinterested and
the volunteer faces them all.
Over a distance the caller
becomes an emphatic bully
sweeping away negative response
to forge on with his intent to
convert those who resist; a
cowardly adversary emerges.



No comments: