Tuesday, December 22, 2015


I Am Cherished

He promised a lifetime ago
that I would want for nothing.
Now, sixty years later he asks
what I want and I tell him nothing
for I have long possessed everything
I could ever want. He responds
predictably, bringing me all he
believes I should have, awaiting my
response, no longer surprised but
grateful that his goal is to please
and delight me, so I am pleased
and I am delighted, for did he not
promise when we were younger
than our grandchild is now that
he would always care for me?
Who rubs moisturizing cream on
my back after a shower? Who
cleans my eyeglasses before I can
place them on my face? Who scans
my medications to ensure they are
always up to date? Do I not cling
to him and tell him that he is the
answer to my wants, just as when
we were so young I responded to 
his vow of forever caring for me
that I would allow him to?


No comments: