Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Disobedient Garden

I have seen orderly, neat and tidy gardens
planned and planted by single-shade-obsessed
gardeners carefully creating a timid garden
which would never venture to welcome a
stray floral volunteer, a seed wafted on the
wind or left behind by a passing bird, to
disrupt the monochromatic stiffness of
the well-mannered garden inordinately
pleasing the aesthetic of a landscape-strictured
imagination. I can find it in me to admire
such gardens for their formality and beauty
lacking spontaneity and that little bit of
chaos and surprise that so pleases me in a
garden of my own choosing. Mine, for example,
is not a particularly temperamental garden,
inclined to its own paced revelations, 
intimate little follies that portray in a sense
the chaos of my own mind. Its appearance
on occasion seems to abide by my tentative
instructions, but I know it is a ruse, to tempt
me into the belief that I control the manner in
which it will flaunt the floral excesses that so
entrance me when in reality that garden has
its own mind, not obediently given to order.


No comments: