Sunday, December 2, 2012

Irreconcilable

Ours is no relationship of equals.
I am quite clearly her subordinate.
Not that she always goes out of her way
to emphasize her power over me, but
her every mood affects my every mood.
I cannot find emotional independence
while she, for her part, is loftily
oblivious, moreover has no interest
whatever in how her imperious,
impervious decisions transform me.
Today, take today, when she chose to
monopolize the day with symptoms of
Her foul temper.  I had no thought that
she would disrupt events to the extent
she so spontaneously did, I was not
forewarned and in my innocent
vulnerability I brought anticipation
of a bright day with a glad smile on my
face, greeting her.  Her response?
Unequivocally denying, she called upon
her atmosphere, her rain-laden clouds,
her winds, to mount a mean offensive
against my presumption, greeting me
with the bleak scowl of a darkly dismal day,
cutting wind, bitter cold and most inclement 
of all, an unstoppable freezing rain.

No comments: