Sunday, January 1, 2012

Relax, We Don't Need You


















The men in my family
bear little resemblance in
their unapologetic interests
and capabilities to those in
my mother's family. Never
did I see my father change a
diaper, nor my brothers bake
a bread, much less mend socks.

My husband bakes breads we
all enjoy, and with a special
baking gadget whips up tasty
batches of non-oiled doughnuts.
Our sons too bake bread, thanks
to modern technology, and one
of them uses my sturdy little
electric sewing machine with
an ease I do not possess.

When he visits with us now,
he comes prepared with exotic
recipes to cook dishes reflecting
cuisines around the world. Also
bringing fall gifts of his own making;
delectable peach-ginger, blackberry
and raspberry jams. Just relax,
they tell me, we'll look after
things. And they certainly do.

No comments: