Monday, April 26, 2010

My Spring Garden...































It is nothing short of bliss; seasonal
perhaps, but no less perfect, for that
feeling of being at home with nature.
The warming sun, slight breeze,
and rich moist soil in my garden
conspire to render my day perfection.
Up come the perennials: spurge,
primrose, bergenia, fritalleries, violets,
bleeding hearts, apple trees and our
awesomely lovely, perfumed Magnolia.

Delightful whiffs of rich blossoms and
that of the welcoming soil as I pluck
tiny heucheras and move them elsewhere
in the garden, imbue me with a power
and a purpose borrowed from Nature.
Unmounding roses, trimming stalks
as bees whip themselves into a frenzy
of anticipation, while a cardinal sings
nearby, offering its brilliant voice for a
duet with an spring-worm-ecstatic robin.

The comfort of bare arms warmed by
the sun as I fuss in the garden, two small
dogs silently padding after, muzzling new
grass, spreading themselves on the lawn,
baking in the sun alongside one another.
Purple lungwort, white anemone, red, white
and yellow tulips, red primrose and
forget-me-nots raising insouciant heads.
Ritual renewal awakens us, each
and every one, to life's rich offerings.

No comments: