Friday, March 13, 2009

Waves, Vol.8, No.1


Herewith, the latest selection from dusted-off published poetry and short fiction, circa 1970s vintage and beyond....

The Message Is The Medium

My friend tells me
it's been nice
knowing me all these years.
With a pat on the ass
he says I've
been a good sport
and even pleasant company.

That's how I know
he's just recalled
.... the date
and like last year
and the one before
has forgotten
to get me an
anniversary gift.

The surface child
acquisitive me
never fails to be
disappointed; yet
.... somehow their
belatedness and haste
doesn't make the words
tripping hopefully

from his familiar mouth
sound any less sincere.
He sincerely hopes
I won't strike a
.... tragic pose of
...... benign neglect
weep tears of self-pity
like last year.

Strange how some things
never change. Odd
how we never
seem to learn. Nice
that life goes on
any old how.

c. 1979 Rita Rosenfeld
published in Waves, Fall, 1979

No comments: