Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nurse Mary-Allison-Linda-Jaqi-Liz-Susan

My dear, you look infinitely better.
There are, again, peaches in your cheeks.
I've been told by your husband how much
he has missed them. The pale, gaunt
appearance you've latterly worn was so
very concerning to him. There, that's
the kind of smile we like to welcome,
to complement those peaches. And
so, my dear, how do you feel now?

What's that new orange bracelet for?
Ah, allergen to sulfa, Remember now?
Second blood transfusion just completed?
Relief, isn't it, to get rid of that line, I know
it was irritating. Oops, there goes that
blood pressure cuff again, kind of miserable
isn't it? Kept waking you up last night?

I know it's tight. But this constant
monitoring is important. Drug delivery
line still going? Check. Saline? Check.
Electrodes nicely in place? Check. Yes,
they are cumbersome, a nuisance to contend
with, tend to complicate moving to the commode,
but their function is vital. No, the cardiologists
are still discussing the results of that last
EKG before determining the order of
this day's proceedings, my dear.

You're still on liquid diet, you know,
because the gastrointestinal team is still
on call for that gastroscope procedure we
discussed yesterday. You know? No, haven't
yet heard whether your heart reacted favourably
to the clench-enhancing medication. Oh, you
filled out that questionnaire? Excellent!
Now, let me introduce you to Nurse Allison.
I'm going off duty for the day ...

No comments: