Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Semi-Conscious Doctor

There she is, young and vibrant,
glossy black hair, lithe body in tight
jeans, scoop-necked tee-shirt,
comfortable flats, briskly interviewing,
rapidly note-taking, alert to telling
details; my new personal physician.
My "old" doctor, after 40 years of
tending to my paltry few health issues
has just retired; long may he enjoy it.

Her slight Eastern Europe accent
charmingly assured and assuring, she
turns from me to my husband's tense face,
for he is prepared to describe what he has
witnessed and I did not, having been the
object of collapse. She animatedly invites
me to emulate her movements: "Can you
walk a straight line, heel to toe? Good!
Balance on one leg? Excellent! Now,
push back hard as you can against me.
Very good. Balance and strength just fine."

"Look straight ahead now, over my shoulder
while I come very close, shining this intense
light. Eyes normal, ears fine, reflexes good.
Were you aware you have a pronounced heart
murmur? Oh, forty years ago? I can see by
your tongue you are dehydrated. Your blood
pressure very low. You must have salt, must
rehydrate yourself. If you admit to Emergency
they will take instant blood tests; not on week-ends.

If you lose consciousness again, or have
difficulty speaking you are to treat it as an
emergency, call an ambulance. I can have blood
tests initiated on Monday morning; results may
take a week or more. I plan to refer you to a
cardiologist; that will take a month, perhaps.
I see your colour is returning. How do you feel
right now? Well, go home, rest. If anything
unusual occurs again, take immediate action."

Thank you, Doctor.

No comments: