Thursday, August 27, 2009

ME, LAST YEAR; 11th Installment



Larry was going over to Debra’s house after dinner. Not to see her, but to get her brother who’s in his class at school. They made arrangements to go over to another friend’s place. They’re busy making a telescope and they’re grinding the lenses for it. Larry knows how, because he did some of that kind of stuff in Toronto, since he was a member of the Royal Astronomical Society. He used to be really into astronomy, but for the last while he’s gone into music, like you don’t know.

Anyway, because we’re not supposed to go out at night alone, Daddy said he’d drive Larry over to Debra’s place to see her brother Norton, and I went with along to fool around with Deb. She’s got a hamster. A cute little thing, and she has plastic tunnels for him, so he can run around in them. He’s not as cute as Munchkin and Grumpkin, but he’s better than nothing. They’ve got a fat old cat, too. Boy, I wouldn’t trust any fat old cat around my hamster.

When we got home after, Mom mentioned to me that since my birthday’s coming up next month, she and Dad are trying to think of what to get me for a gift. Everything’s supposed to be equal in our house, and because Larry got a real big present for his fourteenth birthday, I’m supposed to get something really great, too. Mom made some suggestions like a T.V. of my own, because I like to watch some programs (like the Waltons and the Beachcombers), that no one else wants to see. Or a sewing machine or something like that. But I know I don’t want anything like that. I’m pretty sure I do know what I want.

“What I’d really, REALLY like to have, Mom, is a flute.”

“A Flute? You mean a transverse flute? Whatever gave you that idea?”

“Well, I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I just didn’t say anything to you about it. I’d like to play a flute. I like the recorders, but I’d really love to have a flute.”

“Look Dear, that’s a lot of money we’re talking about. It wouldn’t do at all to get you something and then have you get tired of it and just lay it aside. What makes you think you’d like to learn to play a flute?”

“I know it, Mom! I know that’s what I want. You asked me, didn’t you? That’s what I’d really like to have. I want to learn how to play a flute and I would like to have one. I know they cost a lot and I’d take care of it, and honestly, I wouldn’t get tired of it.”

“I don’t know. I’ll mention it to your father. Then we’ll talk about it. Meantime, you think about the suggestions I made and perhaps you’ll think of something else you’d rather have.”

It won’t matter how much thinking I do about it. I know I want a flute. I’d like to be able to play a flute more than anything. And next year when I’m in high school I’ll be in the band and the orchestra and I’ll take flute lessons at school. That would be the nicest present I could think of. Larry isn’t the only one in this family who can play musical instruments. He plays the school Euphonium in the band and takes private viola lessons because they don’t teach string instruments at school. I don’t see why I can’t have a flute if they’re thinking of getting me something I want anyway.

We were all given choices at school to fill out. We were supposed to pick what we wanted to do for arts minor and major. They’re trying something new at the school. There’s a new pair of teachers that’re supposed to come in half-days, and they’re teaching music. One’s teaching voice and the other one recorders. I don’t want to sing in a choir, so I guess I have to sign up for the recorders. I know it’s going to be Mickey-Mouse because I’m so far advanced of anyone else (I’m sure), in the school, and they’ll all be learning “Mary had a little lamb”, and I’ll be bored stiff. There’s guitars too, but who wants to learn guitar anyway?

And then we had to choose between Home Economics and Industrial Arts. Then next turn around we’re supposed to do the opposite. I signed up for Industrial Arts and we had our first Industrial Arts lesson today. Nothing much; we met Mr. Bronson, the teacher. He’s nice, and he showed us what we would be doing.

He said we’ll be spending the first month or so learning drafting. Boy, that’s not what I thought I.A. was all about. We could pick either a salad bowl or a chopping board. I think I’ll do a chopping board. There’s different shapes, you can do a mushroom or a fish, but who wants to wait?

Just me and Jennifer T decided to go into Industrial Arts and recorder. All the rest of our group - Donna too, thank heavens - went into choir and Home Economics. It’s nice to be around Jennifer because now I’m getting to know her better, she’s just like me. I mean she likes the same things I do, and she’s like me inside, kind of, if you know what I mean.

No comments: