Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Impressions

When I was a child I thought
like a child. Now I am aged I think
like a child again. There are learning
moments aplenty when we are young
so young and clearly impressionable.
In our innocence we assume. As a
child I had few possessions but 
those given me were treasured. No
dolls or toys, occasionally books and
once a tiny tricycle I learned to pump
with my short, plump legs. I loved it
until a street bully grabbed it and I
fled weeping to 'tell my father'. Go
right back and get it, he ordered and
I cowered and refused. He retrieved
it and its allure faded. One evening
when my mother had washed my hair
I girded myself to tell her with bated
breath that someone had fondled me
in a naughty place and I felt fearful. 
She recoiled, warned me never
to repeat such dreadful things then
turned away from me. Before then
I had once overheard her boast to a
neighbour that her child never lied
and from that I understood that to
speak truth was pleasing. When later
I informed my mother that my
uncle abused me I was denied
comforting reassurance for
displeasing her. Then I realized
how complicated life really is.



No comments: